GLA:D – Hip & Knee Osteoarthritis Rehabilitation
What is GLA:D?
- GLA:DTM (Good Life osteoArthritis, Denmark) was developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms
- GLA:DTM uses education and exercise to help with daily activities. You will work on strengthening your body, as well as learning to move correctly and manage symptoms to improve pain
- GLA:D has been successfully run in Denmark and is currently being implemented in Canada, Australia and China.
What are the benefits of GLA:D?
Outcomes from participants 12 months after they completed the GLA:D program in Denmark, Canada and Australia, showed that on average, people who participate in GLA:D experience:
- Less pain
- Reduced use of joint related pain killers
- Improved joint related quality of life
- Increased walking speed
- Less sick leave
- Increased physical activity
Osteoarthritis treatment in Australia
- Osteoarthritis is the most common lifestyle disease in individuals 65 year of age and older, but can also affect individuals as young as 30 years of age. Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatment for osteoarthritis. The GLA:D Australia program offers a safe, evidence-based first line treatment plan as an alternative to early surgery.
What conditions can GLA:D help with?
- GLA:DTM is for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity or x-ray reports.
- GLA:DTM is also beneficial for those individuals who want to delay joint replacement surgery or those that want to slow the progression of symptoms of osteoarthritis.
You may not be able to participate in the GLA:DTM program if:
- You have other reasons for your hip and/or knee pain, including tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- You are unable to understand and communicate in English
- You have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalised pain or fibromyalgia)
How do I register? and What does it cost?
- To start book a GLA:DTM Assessment either online via the links below or by calling reception.
- This is a one on one, in rooms consultation. It may be claimable with your health fund using code 500 or under a Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDM – Formerly known as a EPC).
- You do not need a referral from your Doctor to partake in the GLA:DTM sessions. However, if you have an CDM a portion of the preliminary assessment consult may be Medicare subsidised.
- The cost of the 6 week / 12 session program may be claimable via your private health fund. If you do have an CDM, it will only subsidise the assessment consult, Medicare rules dictate it is not able to be used for the sessions.
- For accurate details on the fees please contact reception on 03 9878 8088.
How are sessions run?
GLA:D® Australia training consists of:
- An initial appointment with a GLA:D certified physiotherapist explaining the GLA:D approach and collecting data on baseline functional ability.
- Two online education sessions where you will learn about OA, how the GLA:D intervention improves joint stability and can reduce symptoms, and ongoing management following the sessions.
- Neuromuscular training sessions which occur twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint.
GLA:D Session Timetable
|10am – 10:45am
|10am – 10:45am
|Intake 1 2024
|Intake 2 2024