What is dance physiotherapy?
Dance Physiotherapy is practised by physiotherapists who have a special interest in treating dancers. They treat all dance types and ages. Due to the similarities in the physical requirements with dancing, dance physiotherapists also treat:
- Performing artists
- Martial Artists
- Tai Chi
Dancers, performers, gymnasts and martial artists tend to sustain different injuries when compared to more traditional sports people. The advantages of consulting a dance physiotherapist are that:
- You have someone you can approach and trust who cares as much about your sport as you
- They have a thorough knowledge and understanding of your techniques
- They understand the requirements of the your chosen style and the level of rehabilitation required to prevent the reoccurrence of an injury.
How can dance physiotherapy help you?
- Perform pre pointe assessments
- Complete tertiary dance council assessments
- Emphasise the quick and efficient management of injuries leading to a faster recovery and return to performing
- Advise you how to prevent recurrent dance injuries
- Improve your flexibility, strength and co-ordination
- Educate you in the best management of your injury or condition
- Improve your dancing performance or technique
- Educate dancers and teachers about appropriate warm up, stretching, prevention strategies and cool down techniques
Dance Physiotherapists often recommend dancers undertake Clinical Pilates as part of their training routine.